Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity
Each year, volunteers from all walks of life give many thousands of hours of their time and energy to help us build houses. Individuals – from high schoolers to retirees; and groups – from businesses and congregations to civic organizations – work in small teams with a Housatonic Habitat for Humanity site supervisor. Elbow-to-elbow with future homeowners, they lay cement block, pound nails, paint, install insulation and siding, and put up drywall.
We also have non-construction volunteer opportunities in our ReStore home improvement store, in our office and on a number of committees.
- Individuals and groups work from 8:30-3:00. Sorry, no half days available. Availability of openings varies depending on workload, time of year, etc. No skills needed.
- We build year-round, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
- Volunteers at least 14* years old are welcome to join us during school breaks or to satisfy school requirements for community service. (*Some restrictions apply to 14-17 year old volunteers and a Youth Permission Form must be signed by a parent.)
- Have a Habitat for Humanity club or campus chapter at school? (Priority in scheduling is offered to schools where there is an active Habitat organization).
- Saturdays are our most popular day and fill quickly.
- A volunteer commitment of one full day is all we ask. If you enjoy the experience – and we hope you will – you may contact us to schedule additional dates.
- Groups are generally limited to eight (8). Larger groups are accepted, as work is available. This varies depending on workload, time of year, day of the week, sponsor commitments and available construction supervisors.
Start Your House Work Here